Sunday, April 17, 2016

Lamb!

Lamb is one of the few red meats I'm "allowed" to have, and even that sparingly. I picked up some lamb meat for kabobs last week, and made them on Friday night. The first step was marinating the lamb. A friend of mine, Allen from the Cole's Slaw blog, gave me this recipe for a general meat marinade on the grill:

Marinade for the Grill

1/3 C vegetable oil (I substituted EVOO. Canola oil will work, too)
1/4 C Soy sauce (I substituted low-sodium tamari)
1/4 C Lemon juice
1 tbsp Mustard
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

This is a really good base marinade. Since I was doing lamb, I added some chopped fresh rosemary. You can add or vary spices and herbs for the meat being cooked and/or to suit your tastes, or even add a splash of balsamic vinegar (suggestion from Allen). I marinated it for a few hours.

After marinating, I skewered the lamb on bamboo skewers (soak them in water for 1/2 hour before cooking so they don't catch fire), and interspersed some crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, red onion, sweet peppers, and pineapple. I grilled this on my stovetop grill, which I don't really recommend. I thought it would be a neat thing, but it doesn't cook very evenly and the smoke is horrible. If you are grilling them on a charcoal grill, cook over direct heat. 12 minutes total should do, turning them a few times. Don't overcook! Dry lamb is nasty. I also basted them with the marinade. Serve over brown rice. No need for other veggies unless you so desire. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment