Wednesday, August 27, 2014

New Recipes

I tried two new-to-me recipes last night. The first is zucchini chickpea burgers. For the actual burgers, I followed the recipe pretty much as written. However, I would recommend NOT adding any water until you test the consistency, then add only a little if needed. I added half a cup of water and the mixture ended up the consistency of canned dog food. I had to add more quinoa and even some bread crumbs to get it to the point that the patties would stick together. Even then, they were still a bit mushy after cooking. I used an electric skillet at 300º F. Next time I will probably bump it up to 350º to get them a little crisper. If yours turn out a bit mushy, you may want to serve them in a pita as opposed to on a bun.

To serve them, I improvised. I used chili mayo (olive oil mayonnaise and Sriracha) instead of wasabi mayo, the salad greens I already had on hand instead of arugula, and regular hummus instead of edamame hummus. Tonight I think I will try an open-faced version on flat bread, and leave off the hummus (it's rather redundant). They were, in any case, absolutely delicious. Here is what they look like cooking, cooked, and served:




The second recipe was tamari almonds. I substituted agave nectar for the sugar. 25 minutes was too long in my oven. Next time, I will cut it down to 20. You may want to try different flavorings, as well, by either adding them to the tamari or using ponsu instead, to give the almonds a bit of a citrus flavor. I'm keeping mine in a Ball jar for storage, and transfer them into a smaller container which sits on top of my microwave so I can easily grab them:



No comments:

Post a Comment